In order to help you address this, we prepared a list of the most applicable solutions. If you’re having a hard time resolving the issue at hand, make sure to check them out below.
How can I fix Windows 10 if it gets stuck while restarting?
1. Restart without connecting peripherals
- Press Windows key + X and choose Device Manager.
- Select a category to see names of devices, then right-click on the one you’d like to update.
- Select Update Driver.
- You can also choose Uninstall in order to reinstall the drivers afterwards.
- Restart your PC.
There might be a driver conflict involved. The PC should be using only the keyboard and mouse.
Drivers that belong to different hardware might enter into a conflict state and that might cause the restart freeze issue.
Unplug any peripherals such as: an external hard drive, an additional SSD, your phone etc., and retry to restart your PC. If everything works well now, reconnect your peripherals.
Also, update the drivers for these hardware components, and all the drivers that are currently displayed within Device Manager.
This way, you can fix any possible malfunction related with the restart process.
2. Force-power off your Windows 10 system
The restart might get stuck due to numerous reasons. However, in most situations the problem can be fixed automatically, if a new restart is initiated.
But first, the computer needs to be shut down in order to launch the reboot process again.
Now, this can be done easily, by following an intuitive solution: just press and keep pressing the Power button for at least 6 seconds – or as long as it takes for the computer to turn off.
3. End unresponsive processes
- From the Windows 10 loading screen press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager.
- Choose End task for each process that’s not vital for the start-up operation.
- Close Task Manager.
The reason why the restart is taking forever to complete might be an unresponsive process running in the background.
This post was written by Andrew Wafer and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.