Microsoft recently updated the Surface Duo emulator. The update includes several app samples that help developers create apps and experiences for the device. Developers can look at the app samples to see how they’re built and use insights to improve their own apps. In addition to updating the Surface Duo emulator, Microsoft updated the Surface Duo SDK and Surface Duo Design Kit.
The app samples are built in Kotlin and “[showcase] the development on Surface Duo in different scenarios,” according to Microsoft. The samples are all open source and can be found on Microsoft’s GitHub public repo.
The code samples are built to show how specific elements of apps and experiences are created. Microsoft outlines the specific features and experiences showcased:
- Drag and drop: shows how to build a layout where you can drag and drop content from other apps, mentioned in the blog, Bring your app to Surface Duo – Step 2.
- Dual View: shows how to implement the Dual view app pattern with a mock restaurant application.
- Hinge Angle: shows how to leverage the hinge angle with a simple drawing application, mentioned in the blog, Hinge Angle on Microsoft Surface Duo last year.
- List Detail: shows how to implement the List-detail app pattern with a mock gallery application.
- Pen Events: shows how to enable Pen support and detect Pen Event on Surface Duo, mentioned in the blog, Pen Events on the Surface Duo
- Two Page: shows how to build the Two page app pattern with a mock reading application.
- Companion Pane: shows how to implement the Companion pane with an image editing application.
- Extended Canvas: shows how to build the Extended canvas app pattern with a mock map application.
- Intent To Second Screen: shows how to start a new Activity on the second screen, which was just mentioned in the last blog, Developer tip: launch on adjacent screen.
- Qualifier: shows how to use the Android resource qualifiers to structure the project resource in the development of Surface Duo, mentioned in the blog, Resource configuration for Microsoft Surface Duo.
- Multiple Instance: shows how to open multiple instances of the same activity.
The sample apps available are Widget, TwoNote, Photo Editor, and Source Editor.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
This post was written by Sean Endicott and was first posted to WindowsCentral
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.