What is error code 0x800703ee?
If the error 0x800703ee the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid is occurring when clean installing or updating Windows, it usually points to corrupt update files due to which the update process is not initiating.
This error can occur due to several reasons, including third-party antivirus conflict, programs using the file, issues with other third-party software installed on your system, and corrupted storage drives.
In this article, we have listed a few troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the error 0x800703ee on external storage when trying to clean Install Windows or install the update.
How do I fix error 0x800703ee?
1. Change USB Port
At times a malfunctioning USB port can be the cause for the error 0x800703ee. The issue may also occur on a functioning USB port but due to some other issues.
A quick workaround would be to change the USB Port. Unplug the bootable USB flash drive and connect to a different USB port on your system. This is usually helpful if you are using a USB 3.0 port. Try connecting the flash drive to a USB 2.0 port and then proceed with the installation or upgrade process.
If you are working with the Windows Media Creation tool and are troubled by this error, then move on to the next steps.
2. Update in Safe Mode
- Press the Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select the Recovery tab from the left pane.
- Scroll down and click the Restart Now button under the Advanced Startup section and follow on-screen instructions to open the Recovery menu.
- Under the Choose an Option section, select Troubleshoot.
- Next, select the Advanced Settings option.
- On the Advanced Options screen, choose the Start-up Setting option.
- Click the Restart option under Start-up Settings.
- After the PC restarts, you will have multiple numbered options.
- Select option 4 to Enable Safe Mode. Press the 4 key on your keyboard to select the option.
- After the PC restarts in Safe Mode, go ahead and try installing the update to see if the issue is resolved.
Restarting your PC in Safe Mode allows you to install updates without any third-party software conflict. A major cause of the error 0x800703ee has been due to conflict with third-party software.
Finding the exact software that is causing the issue is a difficult task. As a result, you can completely negate this issue by restarting your system in Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode, Windows only starts with necessary system services and apps running in the background.
3. Install the update manually
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Click on the Windows Update tab.
- Scroll down and click on Windows Update History.
- Scroll through the Update History and note down all the updates that have failed to install.
- Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Search for the update that has failed to install on the right hand. Download all the update packages to your system.
- Run the downloaded files one by one to install the updates.
Microsoft allows you to download and install some feature updates from its update catalog manually. This is particularly helpful if one or a few specific updates are causing the error.
This post was written by Tashreef Shareef and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.