Regardless of the reason you may have for creating a quiz, you will agree with me that giving the quiz participants unlimited time will increase the likelihood of them cheating.
So, if you want to reduce malpractice, your best option is to enable a timer for your quiz.
But how can you do that?
How to Include a Timer for your Google Forms Quiz
Unfortunately, as you may well know, Google Forms does not yet have a built-in timer feature. However they have a feature called add-ons.
With this add-ons feature, you can expand the functionalities of Google Forms using third-party services. And with regard to our subject matter, there are many third-party services (Google Forms Add-ons) that will enable you to add a timer to your Google Forms quiz.
Some of these add-ons are:
- Extended Forms by ExpressTech
- Form Presenter + Timer by Jivrus Technologies
- Timer + Proctor by Autoproctor
- Form Timer by G Clocked
- Quilgo – Timer & Proctoring by Native Platforms Ltd
As of the time I was writing this post, the Add-ons above were the best timer add-ons for Google Forms.
Now that we have known which add-ons to use, let us now talk about how to install add-ons into your Google Form.
How to Install Add-ons in Google Forms
- After you have signed into Google Forms with your account, open a form. It can be the quiz you want to set a timer for, or any other form.
- When the quiz/form opens, click on the Kebab menu.
The Kebab menu is the 3 vertical dots that is positioned before your Google account avatar/profile picture.
- Select Add-ons from the list that will appear.
When you do, you will be redirected to the Google Workplace Marketplace.
- In the Google Workplace Marketplace, search for any of the add-ons listed above, and click on it.
For the purpose of this article, search for Extended Forms.
- In the Extended Forms details page, click on the Install button, and grant the access/permission you are comfortable granting.
That is all. You have successfully added Extended Forms (or the other add-ons you searched for) to your Google Forms account.
See also: 7 Best Google Forms Alternatives
How to use the Extended Form Add-ons Timer Functionality.
- Click on the Add-on icon, select Extended Forms and then click on Configuration.
- In the dialog window that appears, toggle on the Connect to Extendedforms.io option.
- Wait a minute or 2 for the connection to be established. When it has, all the options for the forms such as the Time limit and the Attempt limit will appear.
- Now configure the options as you desire and click on the Save button.
Note: for you to successfully use the timer feature of the Extended Form or any other timer Add-ons on your Google Forms Quiz, you need to first disable (uncheck) the Edit after submit and Show link to submit another response options from the General and Permission tab in the Form Settings.
The following guide will show you how to do this.
- Click on the Gear icon at the top right.
- Once you do, the Settings page appears, with the General tab already selected.
Just make sure that the Edit after submit box is unchecked.
- Now, switch to the Permission tab and uncheck the Show link to submit another response.
You have successfully set a timer for a Google Form Quiz.
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.