The greatest threat for your laptop, except for your coffee and tea, is overheating. One of the most common issues present in old laptops is overheating, something many people aren’t sure how to fix the overheating Laptop.
Overheating computers can cause many problems, from seemingly random blue screen crashes to data loss, (see easeus data recovery software). You might not even realize that overheating is the root of your issues from your Laptop, and before you know it you have a burnt-out motherboard on your hands. Let’s go step by step and see how to keep your computer functioning at a lower temperature. and thus improve the performance and extend the lifespan of your computer.
How Do You Know Your Laptop Is Overheating?
A sure sign that your computer is overheating is when your fan is running at maximum speed. You may also experience reduced performance because an overheating CPU cuts back its clock speed to escape heat pressure. Moreover, the fail-safe software may trigger a sudden shut down to prevent hardware damage.
If you want to measure the actual heat values inside your laptop, you can use a tool from Google search. It might also reveal which part of your laptop is getting too hot. Typically, you’ll find that the CPU are overheating the most.
What Causes Overheating?
Causes in two words: insufficient cooling.
The causes include dust blocking intake grills or exhaust ports, a clogged up fan, and a degenerated thermal grease (aka thermal compound) between the heat sink and the CPU or GPU. You can fix all of these things yourself, though some jobs will be tougher than others.
If you need a quick fix and don’t have the handy skills to de-lid your CPU and apply fresh thermal paste, read on.
How to Fix an Overheating Laptop
The following ways are about how to fix overheating laptop without taking it apart:
- After a long uninterrupted running, your laptop will get hotter and hotter. The first and simplest method to reduce the device’s heat is to close the device for a while until it cools down.
- Please put the laptop on a flat and hard surface. Otherwise, after a while, the laptop fan can be blocked and the internal parts of the laptop will get hot.
- Enable the Power saver mode to prevent the laptop from using more power that can avoid laptop battery overheating to some extent. To do this, you can go to Control Panel > Power Option, and then check the Power saver.
- Close the applications that are using a lot of system resources to fix laptop overheating. These applications are always using most of your RAM or CPU, or they are writing to the hard drive constantly. Thus, these components are forced to work leading to laptop overheating.
- Use a laptop cooling pad or a laptop cooler to sit the laptop on.
The second method refer to fixing laptop overheating by replacing the component of the device or take it apart:
- An unhealthy battery is a cause of laptop battery overheating. To fix laptop overheating, you need to replace the battery if it can’t hold a charge very long.
- Open the laptop to blow out all the dust and sweep all the debris collected on the hardware. But, if you are not a professional user, you’d better ask the professional maintenance staff for help to take the laptop apart.
To cool down the laptop without taking it apart or not, you can just choose one or more from the above methods within your ability.
Moreover, there is one more thing you need to know: these measures can’t guarantee that the laptop overheating issue no longer happens in the future. You may need to repeat these steps fix laptop overheating after a period of time.
How to Rescue the Lost Data Caused by Laptop Overheating
If you lost your important files due to laptop overheating, you can use a dedicated data recovery software to rescue them after fixing the overheating laptop. MiniTool Power Data Recovery is worth trying.
This MiniTool data recovery software is specially used for rescuing your lost and deleted items from multiple storage devices, including internal hard drives, external hard drives, USB flash drives, SD cards, memory cards, etc.
No matter which data loss situation you are facing, you can use this software to get your data back. More significantly, it has a trial edition that allows you to check whether this program can find the files you want to restore. Press the following button to get this free software.
In the following contents, we will show you how to use this software to retrieve your data from your computer hard drive.
- Open the software and you will enter the This PC interface directly.
- Stay at the default interface and then choose the drive you want to restore data from.
- If you only want to recover some certain types of files, you can press the Settings option and then select the desired data types. But, if you don’t want to choose the data types, you can skip to the next step.
- Press Scan to start the scanning process.
8. When the scanning process ends, you can see the scan results that are listed by the path. You can open each path and then unfold each folder to find the items you want to restore.
Usually, there are so many scanned files and it is tedious to find your needed files by the path. To make the search work simple, you can switch to the Type option and then find your files by type. Besides, the Find feature of this software enables you to locate your needed files based on their names.
Besides, this software allows you to preview 70 types of files, such as images, Words documents, PDF files, and more. On the previewing interface, you can scroll the mouse to zoom in and out.
9. You can save the files you wanted to recover in the safe path.
This post can help you fix laptop overheating fully by reducing the laptop heat and rescuing your data on the device.
This post was written by MokoWeb and was first posted to MokoWeb