There are some simple and easy to implement methods that you can use to remove empty directories in Windows 10 instead, so continue reading.
How do I find and remove empty folders in Windows 10?
1. Search for empty folders
- Open This PC.
- Click on the Search Tab to open the Search Menu.
- Set the Size filter to Empty, and be sure that the All subfolder feature is checked.
- After the search ends, it will display all files and folders that do not take up any memory space.
- Select the ones you want to delete, right-click on one of them, and click on Delete.
This first method does not require any software to be installed, but rather is based on a search based on size.
It is very easy to do it because it performs like any other search on the system level. The only difference is a zero byte filter for the storage memory.
2. Clear registry entries using Restoro
Registry cleaners can help you delete redundant items from your computer’s registry, and this includes empty folders as well.
So, if you haven’t installed a registry cleaner on your machine, we strongly recommend you to use Restoro on your Windows 10 PC.
This software is the best choice to remove empty directories, and improve the performance of your computer.
- Download and install Restoro.
- Open it, and let it finish the initial analysis of your PC.
- Select Start repair to perform a full system repair, which also includes empty folders as well.
Now you can remove the unwanted empty directories in Windows 10 with this great software!
3. Use Command Prompt
- Press the Windows key, and type cmd.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
DIR /AD/B/S | SORT /R > EMPTIES.BAT
- The EMPTIES.BAT file contains a list with all your folders in reverse order (sorted by the memory used).
- Open the file with Word or any other editor. Word has a Find and Replace feature.
- Search the structure ^p and replace it with ^pRD
- Save the EMPTIES.BAT file, and exit from your editor.
- Run the file, and it will try to delete all the folders that are on that list, but it will fail for the folders with content.
This method is a little more difficult to implement but if you follow these steps thoroughly you will be able to do it.
This is how it works:
- For the DIR command, the function /AD selects all the files that have director attribution, in other words, the files that are folders.
- The /B function gives a list with only the file name.
- The /S function tells the PC to also check the subfolders.
- To introduce the SORT command you must enter the | symbol.
- /R function tells the PC to sort the folders in reverse order.
- The symbol > tells the PC to redirect the output of SORT function in the EMPTIES.BAT file.
- Because the sort is in reverse, every subfolder of every folder will be deleted when the parent folder is processed.
This method is a little more complicated compared to the search method, but it is also much more effective because you have access to all the folders in your computer.
This post was written by Madalina Dinita and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.