Currently, there is no direct option allowing you to block certain websites on Edge, as Microsoft is still tweaking and upgrading its browser.
Quick Tip: Use Opera
Plenty of browsers used to be completely useless when it comes to privacy. But things had changed along with time and secure browsing became possible.
Perhaps not surprisingly, Opera is the best choice for parents trying to filter inappropriate content and keep their children safe online.
Besides that, that’s a great choice for fraud and malware protection, while the included ad blocker stops the countless malicious ads that target your PC.
As for Opera’s virtual private network, keep in mind that data sent back and forth is encrypted and routed through a remote server so that you and your loved ones are always safe from prying eyes.
Browse the Internet safely and protect your online privacy with Opera browser.
How do I block websites on Microsoft Edge?
1. Block from drivers
- Go to
- Find and select the hosts file. To make the search easier, go to Drivers, press CTRL+F and type hosts. Then, double click on the search result.
- If you are using the Admin account, the file will open when you double-click it. Open it using Notepad.
- In case you encounter access issues, you need to edit the permission level.
- Go to Properties and go to the Security tab.
- Under Permissions for System, click Advance button and select Add.
- Select Principle and under Enter the subject name, add your Windows username.
- To block a specific website, add the following sequence on the Notepad hosts file: 127.0.0.1 the website’s address. Example: 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
- There is no limit in regard to the number of websites you can block. Simply type the sequence 127.0.0.1 followed by the web site’s address, press Enter to go to the next row, and type a new sequence.
- Save and close the Notepad hosts file.
If you try to access one of the websites you put on the block list, Edge will inform you it can’t reach that page.
The good news is that this method blocks the respective websites on other browsers as well.
This is a fairly simple solution, and it will help you block YouTube, or any other website, on Edge.
2. Use a blocking tool
Also, you can use a program that will block unwanted websites and content for more browsers, including Microsoft Edge.
FocalFilter is a free tool that will help you focus on your work by blocking websites that could distract you.
This post was written by Madalina Dinita and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.