4. Check your antivirus
If you’re wondering why your bookmarks are not showing up, the answer might be related to your antivirus software.
Having a good antivirus is important, but sometimes your antivirus can interfere with Chrome and cause various issues to appear. To fix the problem, it’s advised to check your antivirus settings and temporarily disable certain features.
If that doesn’t work, try disabling your antivirus altogether. In the worst case scenario, you might have to remove your antivirus. Even if you decide to do so, you’ll still be protected by Windows Defender, so there’s no need to worry about your safety.
Once you remove your antivirus, check if the problem is still there. If the issue is resolved, perhaps you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
If you need a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with your system, you should consider trying out Bitdefender.
5. Make sure that bookmark syncing is enabled
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Settings from the menu.
- Now select Sync.
- Check Sync everything or Bookmarks.
After doing that, restart Google Chrome and check if the problem is resolved.
Sometimes Chrome bookmarks are not saving simply because bookmark syncing isn’t enabled. This can be a problem, but you can fix it simply by enabling bookmark synchronization in the browser.
6. Sign out and back into your Google account
- Open the Settings tab.
- Locate your user account and click the Sign out button.
- Restart your browser and repeat these steps to sign back in.
Once you sign back in, check if the problem is still there.
As you know, Chrome bookmarks are linked with your Google account, but if there’s an issue with your Google account, your bookmarks won’t be showing up in Chrome.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to sign out of your Google account and then sign back in again.
7. Clear your cache
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and select Settings from the menu.
- A Settings tab should now open. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Advanced.
- Now choose Clear browsing data.
- Set the Time range to All time and click the Clear data button. Make sure that you don’t select Bookmarks unless you have syncing enabled.
After clearing the cache, restart your browser and check if the issue with bookmarks is still there.
If your Chrome bookmarks are duplicating the issue can be caused by cache. To fix this problem, users are advising to clear your cache.
Sometimes the cache can get corrupted, and that can lead to various issues with bookmarks. However, you can fix the problem simply by clearing the cache.
8. Disable extensions
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose More tools > Extensions from the menu.
- You should now see a list of all installed extensions. Click the switch next to the extension’s name to disable it. Do this for all available extensions.
- Once you disable all extensions, restart the browser and check if the problem is still there.
If the issue doesn’t appear after disabling your extensions, you might want to try enabling extensions one by one in order to pinpoint the problem. Once you find the extension that is causing this issue, remove it or keep it disabled.
According to users, sometimes extensions can cause problems with Chrome bookmarks.
Many users use various extensions in order to enhance browser functionality, but sometimes certain extensions can prevent Chrome bookmarks from saving.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to disable all your extensions and check if that solves the problem.
9. Update Google Chrome
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear. From there you should be able to see the current version of Chrome that you’re using and check for updates.
After updates are installed, restart Chrome and check if the problem is still there.
If bookmarks are not showing up in Chrome, it’s possible that you have a problem with your current version of Chrome.
To fix any potential issues, it’s advised to keep your installation up to date. For the most part, Google Chrome installs the missing updates automatically.
10. Reset Google Chrome
- Open the Settings tab in Chrome. Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced.
- Now click the Reset settings in Reset and clean up section.
- Click the Reset button to confirm.
Now wait for the process to finish. Once everything is done, Chrome will reset to the default and the problem should be resolved. Try creating new bookmarks or import your old bookmarks and check if everything is working properly.
If Chrome bookmarks are duplicating, the issue can be related to your settings. Sometimes certain settings can interfere with your bookmarks, and the only way to fix this issue is to reset Chrome to the default.
We have to mention that this method will remove your bookmarks, so you might want to export them or sync them before proceeding. To reset Chrome, do the following:
Using the uninstaller software you’ll completely remove Chrome as well as all its files and registry entries. Once you remove Chrome, install the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
Alternatively, you can try using Beta or the Canary version of Chrome. These are experimental versions of Chrome, but they have the latest updates installed, so they might help you with this problem.
Bookmarks are an important part of the browsing experience, and if you’re having problems with Chrome bookmarks, be sure to try some of our solutions and check if that solves your problem.
The fixes mentioned above also apply if you were looking for the following topics:
- Chrome not saving bookmarks – Users have reported that their web browser refuses to save anything they bookmark.
- Bookmarks not saving in Chrome – Users reported that they only have bookmark saving issues with Google Chrome.
- Bookmarks not showing in Chrome – This happens when users notice that their Chrome bookmark list is empty.
FAQ: Learn more about Chrome bookmarks
- Can I export my Chrome bookmarks to Firefox?
Follow this guide with you want to import your Chrome bookmarks into Firefox.
- Can I import Internet Explorer bookmarks into Chrome?
If you want to import IE bookmarks into Chrome, follow this guide.
- Can I export my bookmarks between different OSes?
Bookmark transfer between OSes is possible. For example, follow this guide to transfer bookmarks between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in January 2019 and was revamped and updated in February 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
This post was written by Milan Stanojevic and was first posted to WindowsReport