Usually this problem occurs if voice input configuration in the affected game is not done correctly. However, in some instances the glitch is also caused due to incompatible hardware and more.
In this article, we have listed a few troubleshooting steps to help you fix the mic works on Discord but not in game.
How do I fix the mic works on Discord but not in game?
1. Update audio device drivers
Incompatible or outdated audio device drivers can cause mic works on Discord but not in Fortnite issue. You can fix it easily by simply updating your audio driver.
While you can update your audio driver manually, automated driver update utilities like DriverFix can make this task easier. Using a driver update utility is recommended if you are not comfortable updating system drivers manually.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system. There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.
Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix.
Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC to a risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Configure recording device in Control Panel
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound.
- Next, click on the Sound option. This will open the Sound properties window.
- Open the Recording tab. Make sure your mic is connected to the PC.
- Check the default input device. The default input device will be tagged as Default Communications Device.
- To change the default communications device, right-click on your input device (Mic) and choose Set as Default Communications Device.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Once you have configured your input device, launch the affected game and check if the mic works on Discord but not in Overwatch.
Games like PUBG use the default communication device from your PC. If you are using a different input device for Discord, your game will not recognize the device.
Ensuring you have the right input device set as default communication device in Windows 10 will resolve the issue.
3. Run sound troubleshooter
- Click on Start and then choose Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab from the left pane.
- Scroll down and click on Playing Audio.
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter button.
- After the scan, select the affected audio device and then click Next.
- Follow on-screen instructions and apply any recommended fixes.
Once the fixes are applied, close the troubleshooter and restart your PC. After the restart, relaunch the game and check for any improvements.
Uninstall and reinstall input device
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK to open Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, expand the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- Right-click on your microphone device from the list and select Uninstall Device.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Uninstall again.
- Once uninstalled, close Device Manager.
- Make sure your audio input device is connected to the computer and restart your PC.
- After restart, Windows will automatically detect the input device and reinstall the input device device drivers.
If the audio input device is not reinstalled automatically, scan for hardware changes in Device Manager.
This post was written by Tashreef Shareef and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.