- Kodi is a popular service that many use to stream multimedia content in a convenient way.
- However, you may know that you can access content based on your current location.
- Unfortunately, you can’t access content in restricted locations if the VPN isn’t working with Kodi.
- Check out our guide and learn how you can make your VPN work with Kodi again.
If you are experiencing a situation where your VPN is not working with Kodi, then read on.
Kodi is a popular open-source media center for Windows PC. Furthermore, Kodi enables you to stream music, TV series, movies, etc.
In addition, you can stream the latest media content by using any of the available Kodi add-ons. When Kodi is used with VPN, it enables users to bypass geo-restrictions and stream media effortlessly.
In spite of that, plenty of VPN users experience several issues where the VPN is simply not working with Kodi.
Meanwhile, Windows Report has compiled the following fixes applicable in solving the VPN not working with Kodi problem
What can I do if the VPN is not working with Kodi?
1. Change your VPN
Great VPN providers like Private Internet Access (PIA) work best with Kodi. With over 3200 servers in 46 countries, you can access Kodi, whether the services are blocked or not where you reside.
Its Unblock Streaming feature also lets you access other popular streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu.
This Kape Technologies VPN solution not only lets you stream Kodi remotely, but also surf anonymously, secure web sessions at hotspots, and protect your online privacy.
PIA is the most trusted VPN to access Kodi or other blocked websites, with fast service and consistent speeds, so give it a try.
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access easily works with Kodi. Don’t hesitate to claim the best deal right away!
2. Check your Internet connection
Windows users reported that a limited/inactive Internet connection can cause the Kodi problem you are currently facing.
Hence, you need to test your Internet connection. In order to do so, disconnect from the VPN service, and try to access any website on your web browser.
If you are unable to access the Internet while disconnected from the VPN, then you may need to consider changing your Internet connection mode to the modem, broadband, or Wi-Fi connection.
3. Restart your PC
Another way to resolve the VPN problem is simply by restarting their PC. This method is a quick fix that can possibly resolve your VPN connection, hence making it work with Kodi.
Alternatively, you can shut down your PC and wait for a few minutes before restarting your PC.
4. Check your Date and Time Settings
Some VPN won’t work with Kodi because of the incorrect date and time settings on your PC. Check the date and time settings to ensure they are correct.
Disable automatic update of date and time using the Internet, and set the date/time parameters manually.
In addition, you should also consider changing your region/location to reflect the selected server location on your VPN settings.
However, if you still get the error after trying this fix, you may proceed to the next step.
5. Check your IP address
If the VPN is not working with Kodi, check your IP address for information such as your city or region (country) next to the location you selected in the VPN windows.
Alternatively, you may consider connecting to other VPN server locations and then access the Kodi service again.
6. Disable your security software
- Go to Start > Type Allow a program through Windows firewall and then hit the Enter key.
- Click on Change Settings options.
- Now, click on Allow another program.
- Select the program you want to add or click Browse to find the VPN software, and then click OK.
- Check if you can connect again and try to access Kodi.
Some antivirus programs may block your VPN connection hindering you from accessing Kodi. Hence, you may need to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall so as to be able to access Kodi.
However, some antivirus programs have a temporarily disable protection option which you can use while others do not.
Furthermore, if you have the option to reinstall the security software or program blocking the VPN connection, install it after the VPN software has been installed so that it allows the VPN to connect.
Hence, uninstall the VPN software followed by the security program blocking the connection, then install VPN software again, and then reinstall the security program on your PC.
Alternatively, you can also enable the VPN software in the Windows firewall. However, if this does not work, proceed to the next step.
7. Manually configure DNS settings
Open Network Connections settings
- Right-click Start and select Run.
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
- In the Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right-click the connection and select Properties.
Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 18.104.22.168 and Alternate DNS server 22.214.171.124
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) enter and press OK, and, Level3 DNS (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) enter and press OK.
Manually configuring your computer with other DNS server addresses helps you access Kodi, and enjoy faster connection speeds.
Some computers may not automatically connect to the VPN DNS servers; hence you need to configure it with your VPN DNS servers’ IP addresses, manually.
Frequently Asked Questions
This post was written by Ivan Jenic and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.