If a Volume Shadow Copy Service error pops up, the System Restore utility probably won’t restore Windows. Furthermore, the Windows backup tool might not work when you try to copy files to an external USB drive.
These are a few resolutions that might fix some Volume Shadow Copy Service errors in Windows 10.
How do I fix the Volume Shadow Copy Service error?
These are two VSS error messages that can pop up in Windows: and they look like in the above pictures:
A Volume Shadow Copy Service failed. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information.
The Volume Shadow Copy Service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log.
1. Check the Volume Shadow Copy Service is running
- Go to the Windows search bar.
- Then input the keyword services and select it to open the window directly below.
- Scroll down to and double-click Volume Shadow Copy to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down list.
- If the service is currently stopped, press the Start button.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Then reboot your desktop or laptop.
2. Erase junk files for all drive partitions
- Open the Windows search bar and input the keyword disk cleanup in the search box.
- Select Disk Clean-up to open the window shown directly below.
- Select a drive partition to scan from the drop-down menu, and press the OK button.
- Then select the checkboxes on the window below, and press the OK button to delete the selected file categories.
- Press the Delete Files button to confirm.
- In addition to the junk files, you can also erase system restore points. To do that, press the Clean up system files button on the Disk Clean-up window.
- Then select a drive partition and click OK.
- Next, select the More Options tab shown directly below.
- Press the Clean up button to erase system restore points.
Note: Some users have fixed VSS errors by utilizing Disk Clean-up in Windows to erase junk files. If you have two, or more, drive partitions, you’ll need to scan each partition with a disk clean utility.
There are numerous third-party utility software you can delete junk files with, but this is how you can utilize Disk Clean-up in Windows 10.
3. Switch off the Windows Firewall
- Enter Windows Defender Firewall in the Windows search box.
- Select it to open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options below.
- Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall settings, and click the OK button.
Note: Turn off the Windows Firewall to ensure that it isn’t interfering with VSS in any way.
4. Disable anti-virus software
In addition to switching off the Windows Firewall, disable third-party anti-virus software. You can temporarily switch off the anti-virus by right-clicking the system tray icons and selecting a disable option.
However, if you can’t find a disable option on the system tray context menu, open the anti-virus software’s main window to select a switch off option from there.
This post was written by Matthew Adams and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.