Enjoy a fast and secure online experience with a non-interfering advanced antivirus!
2. Change security settings
2.1. Disable or uninstall firewall
One solution to fixing uTorrent not responding is to disable the firewall and reboot your computer.
In case you already have a strong antivirus then you need to uninstall unnecessary firewall software that usually causes uTorrent to crash regularly. The problem might be caused by tool such as V-Com System Suite, Norman Personal Firewall, NVIDIA Firewall or Cybersitter.
2.2. Adjust antivirus settings
For those who have Avast antivirus, you need to disable the P2P shield feature, in order to enjoy your uTorrent download sessions.
The Spyware Doctor 5 tool usually causes uTorrent to freeze during the installation process. To solve this issue you can uninstall it and choose an antivirus that doesn’t interfere with uTorrent, like the one we recommended in this article.
If you are using an antimalware software like Outpost Pro, you need to exclude uTorrent from its rules in order to fix the issue
3. Change the copy of the torrent
There are also instances when you may encounter that uTorrent is stuck at a certain percent of the download process. A problem like that is caused by the fact that your copy of the torrent is incomplete, unavailable or it lacks seeders. In this case you might need to get another version of the file you want to download.
4. Modify uTorrent associations
- Open uTorrent, got to Options.
- Open Preferences, choose General.
3. Click Associate with torrent files.
5. Back up uTorrent settings
- Press Windows+R to open Run.
- Type %appdata%uTorrent.
3. Press Enter, the torrent files are moved from the Roaming folder into the AppData folder.
4. Follow this guide to Uninstall uTorrent.
5. Reinstall uTorrent
6. Access the Preferences option under File menu to set download location as the folder for incomplete downloads.
7. Open all .torrent files using uTorrent
There are various causes that might be at the root of uTorrent not responding and we presented you with the most common ones as well as the solution to each of them.
We’d like to hear more from you on this subject, so drop us a comment by accessing the section below.
FAQ: Learn more about uTorrent
- How do you fix uTorrent not responding?
See how you can easily solve uTorrent errors with the help of this user friendly and complex uTorrent guide.
- Why has my uTorrent stopped working?
If you notice that uTorrent is stuck on connecting to peers and not downloading, then we can show you how to fix it.
- Why is uTorrent not working on my phone?
The solution to this problem could require that you get to get the right Android app for uTorrent downloads.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
This post was written by Milan Stanojevic and was first posted to WindowsReport