As complicated as it sounds, this problem has a very quick solution so stay with us to learn how to fix it.
How can I fix the Valheim incompatible version error?
1. Update the player’s game files
- Go to your Steam library on your PC.
- Right click on Valheim and select Properties from the list of options.
- Click on the Updates tab and download any available uptates.
Obviously, the best way to deal with this problem is to update the game files on your PC and suggest for everyone to do the same on their machines. After that, you will have the latest game files for Valheim on your PC.
Steam has an auto-update feature so regularly, you should have the latest updates installed but if that feature is deactivated, you can perform a manual update procedure as shown above.
2. Update the remote server
- Perform a backup for all the files from the installation folder of Valheim in case anything goes wrong.
- Download and install SteamCMD.
- Create a new file, name it Update.bat and place it in Valheim’s installation folder.
- Type the following line in the file and save the file afterwards:
[SteamCMD directory] + login anonymous + force_install_dir [Valheim installation directory] + app_update 896660 validate + exit
- Now run the Update.bat file (That will update the Valheim servers ro the latest version).
Sometimes it’s not enough to update only the player’s game versions and you also need to make sure that also the remote server is updated to the latest version.
Steam is updating the servers every time after a game update, but you can also force that process yourself by using the steps above but make sure you perform a backup before starting the procedure.
That’s it! You should now be able to enjoy the Valheim local remote server game with your peers. If you’ve succeeded to fix the Valheim incompatible version error by using our solutions leave us a comment below.
This post was written by Claudiu Andone and was first posted to WindowsReport