- Steam launches game but nothing happens
- Steam preparing to launch then nothing
- Steam game says Running then stops
What can I do if nothing happens when I click play on Steam?
- Check your antivirus
- Check if the game is properly installed
- Start Steam as administrator
- Change download region
- Check to have Visual C++ Redistributables installed
- Verify the integrity of game cache
- End Steam process and restart it
- Reinstall the problematic game
- Reinstall Steam
1. Check your antivirus
According to users, sometimes your antivirus can interfere with Steam and that will cause this and many other problems to appear. To check if your antivirus is the problem, try disabling certain antivirus features, such as real-time scanning or folder protection. If that doesn’t work, you might have to disable your antivirus altogether.
Sometimes disabling antivirus doesn’t help, and if that’s the case, you might have to remove your antivirus completely.
If removing the antivirus solves the issue, this would be a perfect time to consider switching to a different antivirus. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you’re looking for reliable protection that won’t interfere with your system, then Bitdefender might be the perfect choice for you.
A few good reasons to choose Bitdefender are the gaming mode which, once activated, will balance system resources to ensure a smooth gaming experience or the integrated VPN which ensures top-notch online privacy.
Bitdefender Total Security
An award-winning antivirus solution that doesn’t interfere with your gaming apps and still offers the ultimate cyber-protection.
2. Check if the game is properly installed
- Locate Steam’s installation directory and go to the Steamapps directory.
- Find the installation directory of the game you’re trying to run.
- Look for a Launcher. If this folder isn’t available, try running setup.exe file that should be located in the game’s directory.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup.
- Once the setup is finished, restart Steam and try to run the game again.
Bear in mind that this isn’t a universal solution, so it might not work for every game, but it’s still worth trying out.
3. Start Steam as administrator
- Locate Steam shortcut and right-click it.
- Now choose Run as administrator from the menu.
- Once the Steam starts, try running any game.
If this method works, you’ll need to repeat it every time you want to play anything on Steam. However, you can set Steam to always run with administrative privileges. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Steam’s installation directory and locate exe. Right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program as an administrator option and click Apply and OK to save changes.
After making this change, Steam will always start with administrative privileges and the issue should be permanently resolved.
4. Change download region
- Start Steam.
- Go to the Settings > Downloads.
- Look for the Download region Now choose a location that is closest to you. Alternatively, you can choose a location that is not the closest but still near.
After making this change, restart Steam and try to run your game again.
5. Check to have Visual C++ Redistributables installed
If you can’t launch a certain game on Steam, perhaps the issue is related to the missing components. Many games require Visual C++ Redistributables in order to run, and if a Steam game won’t launch, it’s possible that you don’t have the necessary Visual C++ components installed.
There are several ways to install these missing components, but the easiest method is to check the game’s installation directory. Look for vcredist directory and install all files from it. There should be two files available, one for x64 and one for x86 version of Windows, and you need to install both.
This post was written by Milan Stanojevic and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.