Sometimes certain programs on your PC may refuse to run as intended without administrator rights.
If you do have admin rights on your computer, make sure you run your browser with administrator privileges specifically.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Quit and exit any or all open browser windows
- Click the Start button
- Select All apps
- On the list of items, right-click your preferred browser icon (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Opera)
- Select Run as administrator
- Select Allow or click Yes if prompted to
- In the new window, try to play your favorite flick or show again
If you manage to fix the Netflix black screen and you’re able to stream Netflix shows or movies, then the problem is that your account doesn’t have admin rights.
In this case, you can ask for rights on your account.
Follow the steps below to clear Netflix cookie from your browser:
- Go to www.netflix.com/clearcookies
- You will be signed out of the account
- Click Sign in
- Enter your Netflix email and password
- Try to launch Netflix again
If this doesn’t fix the Netflix black screen, try the next solution.
Here’s how to execute this:
- Close all open browser windows
- Launch the Task Manager
- Make sure your browser isn’t still open
- Launch your browser
- Try to stream Netflix again
Does this resolve the Netflix black screen issue? If not, try the next solution.
Take the steps below to execute this:
- Click on the Chrome menu (three dots at the top right corner) on the toolbar
- Select Settings
- Select Advanced at the bottom as you scroll down
- Go to Privacy
- Select Clear Browsing Data
- Go to the Clear the following items from the drop-down box
- Select the Beginning of time
- Check media licenses
- Select Clear browsing data
- Launch Netflix again
Sometimes your display drivers may be outdated, which can cause a wide assortment of issues, including black screen in various apps.
To rule this out, check if you have installed the latest version of your display drivers.
However, you shouldn’t rely exclusively on Windows’ built-in driver checker/installer.
Go to the website of your graphics card’s manufacturer, download the latest drivers and install them manually.
If you’re using the Windows 10 Netflix app, you can try resetting it and making sure it has appropriate permissions:
- Press Window key + I to open the Settings app
- Choose Apps
- Click on the Netflix app and open Advanced options
- Click Reset and then check permissions
- Start Netflix and try to load any content
Antivirus software can sometimes interfere with the Netflix player for streaming shows and movies.
In this case, you can disable antivirus software temporarily then try to play your movie or show again.
If it works after trying this method, then your antivirus is either outdated, or it’s preventing Netflix from playing.
Thus, you may need to update your antivirus or switch to a better alternative.
All things considered, if you encounter the black screen issue on your computer, don’t fret; there are many ways you can fix it.
We recommend you to try all of our suggested fixes.
Which one of them worked best for you? Leave us your feedback in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in November 2017 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
This post was written by Vlad Constantinescu and was first posted to WindowsReport