Microsoft Teams users can insert both internal and external hyperlinks to quickly navigate to different pages. But there are times when this functionality stops working, and Teams fails to open links. Of course, opening links with one left click is always more convenient than using various other workarounds. After all, that’s what hyperlinks are for. So, let’s see how you can troubleshoot this issue.
How to Fix Microsoft Teams Not Opening Hyperlinks
Open Links in a New Tab
If we’re talking about a webpage link, you can always right-click on the problematic link, copy it, and paste it into a new tab. Or you can trackback internal links in an attempt to reach the page you’re interested in.
Log Out, Clear the Cache and Log Back In
- Log out, restart the desktop app, log back in and check if the issue persists.
- If this is the case, type %AppData%Microsoftteams in the Windows Search bar and hit Enter.
- Delete all the files from the following folders:
- %AppData%Microsoftteamsapplication cachecache
- %AppData%MicrosoftteamsLocal Storage
If you also use Teams for Web on Chrome or Edge, you need to clear the online cache.
- Type %LocalAppData%GoogleChromeUser DataDefault in the Windows Search bar. If you use Edge, type %LocalAppData%MicrosoftEdgeUser DataDefault.
- Locate the Cache folder and the Cookies and Web Data files.
- Delete the Cache folder and all the two individual files.
- Launch Teams, sign in and check if hyperlinks are working now.
If you receive a link to a file in a Teams channel, but you can’t open the desktop app link, ask the sender to send you the SharePoint link instead of the Teams share link.
As a quick reminder, Teams is actually a front end for SharePoint when it comes to files. Teams stores your file in a SharePoint repository.
Update the App
If Teams links are not clickable due to a known issue affecting your Teams version, update the app. Maybe Microsoft already patched the issue in the latest app version. Click on your profile picture and check for updates. Don’t forget to update your OS as well.
If Teams hyperlinks won’t work, most likely, this problem is caused by the app cache. Clear the cache, update the app and check the results. If nothing works, simply copy the link and paste it into a new tab. Do you often experience hyperlink issues on Teams? Tell us more about your experience in the comments below.
This post was written by Madalina Dinita and was first posted to Technipages
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.