In the Windows operating system, LSASS is the acronym of Local Security Authority Process. This process is responsible for managing all local security, logins and permission.
However, It has been noticed that hackers can corrupt and infect the LSASS.exe file. Thus, when your computer’s lsass.exe file have been corrupted, then, that is when you get the LSASS.exe high CPU usage issue.
Why the LSASS.exe High CPU Usage Issue Matters.
For 1 thing, the LSASS.exe high CPU usage issue is caused by a virus infestation. So, it is never a good thing to just turn a blind eye to it.
Because the CPU usage is high, it will affect the overall performance of your computer. What this means is that, your computer will start to lag, that is, it will start to take time before it performs simple tasks.
High CPU usage can cause your computer to overheat, drain or even destroy the battery lifespan. And also, it can get the motherboard destroyed.
How to Know if LSASS.exe is Responsible for your PC’s High CPU Usage.
- Open Windows Task Manager. This you can do by:
- Right-click on an empty space in the taskbar and click on the Task Manager option.
- Press the
Esckeys on your keyboard.
- When the Task Manager opens, go the the Processes tab. Look at the CPU section to see if the LSASS.exe process is using high percentage of the CPU.
- If you locate the LSASS.exe process, but it is not using a disturbingly high CPU, then right-click on it and then choose the Open file location option.
- When the file location open in the File Explorer, look at the path. If it is C:\Windows\System32, then the LSASS.exe file is legitimate. If it is not that path then your compute have been infected with the LSASS.exe virus.
How to Fix the Lsass.exe High CPU Usage Issue.
Fix 1: Run an Antivirus Scan
Windows 10 or Windows 11 comes preinstalled with an antivirus. This antivirus is called Windows Security. If you are using an older version of Windows, then the preinstalled antivirus is call Windows Defender.
So, open it, and run a deep scan with it, to find and remove the infected/corrupted LSASS.exe file that is causing the high CPU usage issue.
If you have a premium antivirus, you should also use that antivirus program.
See also: Windows Defender not working [FULL FIX]
Fix 2: Download and Install the Latest Windows Updates.
Windows updates comes with the latest security patches and features.
So, when you download and install the latest Windows updates, there is a good chance that the LSASS.exe high CPU usage issue will be fixed automatically.
See also: Windows 11 Build 22449 Features.
Here is how to Download and Install the Latest Windows Updates.
- Open Settings.
You can do so by pressing the Windows and I keys.
- Now, click on System, and then on Windows Update from the left sidebar.
- Now on the right side, click on the check for updates button.
- If there is a new update, Download, Install and Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Fix 3: Perform a System Restore.
System Restore is a feature that revert all changes to the Windows operating system to its last known perfectly working condition.
So, if running and antivirus deep scan and downloading and installing the latest Windows updates did not fix the issue, then this option will.
To perform a system restore, do the following.
- Go to the Start Menu and search for System Restore.
- Click on the Create a System Restore Point from the search result.
- In the dialog box that will appear, click on the
- Another dialog box will appear. When it does, click Next.
- In the next screen, select a Restore point from the list and click on the Next button to start the process.
There you have it. Those are the 3 best ways to fix the lsass.exe hight CPU usage issue.
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.