- Right-click your Start Menu
- Select Network Connections
- Click the Change adapter options button
- Right-click your default Internet connection
- Select Properties
- Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Click the Properties button
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses radio button
- Use 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred, respectively Alternate DNS server fields
- Click the OK button to confirm your settings
This technique helps you change your DNS from your ISP-assigned one. Often times, ISP-assigned DNS addresses are restricted.
Turning to a public one such as Google Public DNS (the one we used above) usually circumvents these limitations.
Unfortunately, you still have to flush any lingering old DNS data from your PC, but we’ve got you covered.
Here’s how to flush DNS records on your Windows 10 PC:
- Launch an elevated instance of CMD
- Type the commands below, each followed by the Enter key on your keyboard:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your PC
After your PC finishes its boot sequence, make sure to connect to IPVanish and check if it works with Netflix.
If the issue was caused by cached DNS data, everything should be taken care of now, and Netflix should now work with IPVanish.
Another misconception is that VPN protocols are all the same, when in fact they’re wildly different.
Even OpenVPN TCP is different from OpenVPN UDP. Not a coincidence is the fact that these two are the most used VPN protocols.
However, UDP is better when it comes to streaming video content.
Therefore, if you notice that IPVanish is not working with Netflix, you might want to change the protocol.
By default, IPVanish uses IKEv2, so you might want to go through all protocols until you reach one that works for you.
- Buy a new VPN subscription (we recommend Private Internet Access)
- Download and install the new VPN on your PC
- Launch the VPN client
- Log in to your account
- Connect to an appropriate server (e.g. US server for US Netflix)
- Enjoy streaming your favorite content on Netflix
Private Internet Access is a great VPN when it comes to streaming video content.
Besides its ability to gracefully dodge geo-restrictions, PIA also offers more than 22,000 fast servers all around the world.
Check out PIA’s main features:
- More than 22,000 high-speed servers worldwide
- Strict no-logging policy
- Built-in kill switch
- Military-grade encryption
- Can unblock various websites (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime)
- Private DNS on all its servers
Private Internet Access
If you’re looking for a VPN that works with Netflix, you should definitely check out Private Internet Access.
All things considered, if IPVanish seems to be not working with Netflix any longer, know that there are some things you could do about it.
We recommend that you run through all our suggested fixes and try them one by one.
Try not to skip any of them, as each method targets specific causes for your IPVanish-Netflix incompatibility.
This post was written by Vlad Constantinescu and was first posted to WindowsReport