How do I fix my HP hard drive error?
1. Check hard disk for errors
- Use the Windows media driver to insert a bootable CD or Flash Drive.
- Change the boot preference from your hard drive to recovery drive in the BIOS.
- Boot from your recovery drive.
- In the setup window, select your language and click Next.
- At the bottom left corner, click on Repair your computer .
- Choose Troubleshoot from the Advanced Options, select Command Prompt.
- When the command prompt appears, enter the following command and hit enter to execute it
The check disk utility will scan the system for any bad sectors in the hard drive and try to repair them if necessary.
After the repair is done, exit the Command Prompt window and shut down the system.
You should remove the recovery drive and try to boot from the hard drive. If repaired, the short DST failed error should be solved.
2. Check for conflicting software
If you have an antivirus program installed, try to disable it temporarily. If that does not work, you can also try to uninstall the antivirus program completely from the system.
You can also use the Restore Point option to restore your PC to an earlier point. For this, you again need the recovery drive if you are unable to login to your PC.
Now all you have to do is select any of the previously created restore points to fix this issue.
3. Replace hard drive
The most common cause for when the hard drive short DST check failed on your HP, is a defective hard drive due to corruption or damage.
If the laptop is new, you can contact the service center and claim the warranty.
Before that try to connect the hard drive to any other computer and see if it recognizes it.
However, if the laptop is out of warranty, you may need to purchase a new hard drive for your laptop.
This post was written by Tashreef Shareef and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.