If Google Maps fails to auto-rotate while you’re navigating, this can be really annoying. If you don’t want to constantly tilt your head to the right or to the left to get your bearings right, you should solve this issue as soon as possible. And that’s exactly the topic of this guide.
What to do if Google Maps Won’t Auto-Rotate
Check the auto-rotate settings
- Launch Google Maps and select your user account profile picture
- Go to Navigation settings
- Locate the Keep Map North Up option and make sure it’s not toggled on
- Check your battery optimization settings and ensure the Google Maps are left out of battery settings.
If you’re using Google Maps to navigate while you’re driving, make sure the Android Auto is left out of battery settings as well.
⇒ Note: If you’re driving, you can only change from north up to car direction after you set the destination. The option is available before starting the navigation. Keep in mind that during the navigation, the compass icon is not visible on the screen.
Enable auto-rotate in your phone settings
Make sure the auto-rotate feature on your phone is enabled as well. Swipe down with to fingers and tap the Auto-rotate option.
Launch the Google Maps app again and check if the auto-rotate feature is working properly now.
Clear your Google Maps cache
Clearing your Google Maps cache may fix this problem. As more and more temporary files accumulate on your device, they may interfere with certain app features. Clearing the cache may help you to solve this auto-rotate issue.
- Go to Settings and tap Apps
- Depending on your phone model and Android version, you may need to select Apps again
- Select Google Maps and then tap Storage
- Tap the Clear cache button and try again
- If the issue persists, tap the Clear data button as well.
Did these solutions help? Let us know in the comments below.
This post was written by Madalina Dinita and was first posted to Technipages
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.