The troubleshooting steps from below will help you address the errors that may occur during the Discord installation process. So, in the end, you can once more successfully use your favorite online chatting software.
You can fix the Discord installation failure for Windows 10, by following the next steps.
How do I fix Discord install issues in Windows 10?
1. Stop the Discord process
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Task Manager.
- Under Background Processes find any entry that might be related to Discord.
- To end the process, select it and click the End Task button. If there are multiple instances, you have to select them one by one.
2. Uninstall previous Discord app
- Type Control Panel on the Windows search bar.
- Press Enter or click it to open the window.
- From the View by option that is located on the right corner, switch to Small icons.
- Select Programs and Features.
- In the list of programs, find and select Discord, then choose Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
Note: As a best practice, before installing a program that is already installed, you need to uninstall it from Control Panel. Usually, if you don’t uninstall first, you receive an error message.
However, some apps let you install multiple versions and this can also lead to computer issues.
3. Remove the file still left on your device
- Press Win+R keyboard hotkeys to open Run window.
- Type %appdata% and press Enter.
- From the path that will open, go to Local and Roaming folders, locate and delete the Discord folder.
- Restart your computer in the end.
- You should be able to reinstall Discord on your Windows 10 system without problems now.
4. Run the install as Administrator
Almost any software you want to install needs Administrator privileges. This means that either your Windows account is an administrator account or you need to know the user and the password for the admin account.
To run the Discord installation as an admin, firstly locate the install.exe on the download folder. Right-click on it and choose Run as administrator. If the UAC is prompted, choose Yes.
5. Uninstall the Windows update
- Press Win+I to open Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update and choose View Update history.
- Click on the first option, Uninstall updates.
- From there you can uninstall certain Windows updates.
Note: If Discord was corrupted by a recent Windows 10 update you can try to remove the Windows package.
This solution should be used as a last resort, Windows updates are patches that address OS problems, security issues, new features, etc. Thus, it is important to keep your Windows up to date.
Those are the troubleshooting steps that can fix the Discord installation engine for Windows 10.
If you have further questions or if you need to fix other similar problems, don’t hesitate and contact us – we will always try to develop the perfect tutorials for your Windows 10 device.
This post was written by Andrew Wafer and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.