How to fix Chrome OS an unexpected error has occurred?
1. Press Tab during the boot
- Power down your laptop, but don’t close the lid.
- Now start the laptop again.
- When the warning screen appears, press the Tab key.
After doing that, you should be able to see the direct cause of this issue. Although this method won’t fix your problem, it will give you some insight into why Unexpected error while installing Chrome OS appears.
2. Make sure that the hard drive is tightly connected
- Disconnect the laptop from the power outlet, unplug the charger, and remove the battery.
- Now remove the back cover.
- Locate the hard drive and SSD and make sure that it’s tightly connected.
Several users reported that this method worked for them, and after connecting their hard drive properly, the Chrome OS Recovery unexpected error was gone.
In some instances, your hard drive or SSD may be damaged, so you’ll need to replace it.
Note: This method will most likely void your warranty, so it might be best to send your laptop to a certified repair center.
3. Disable verification
- When the error message appears, enable the Developer mode and turn off the verification.
- Restore the OS.
- After doing that, turn off the Developer mode.
This solution only works if you had Developer mode enabled, but it might help you if fix Unexpected error when installing Chrome OS.
4. Try to boot the device multiple times
- Connect the device to the charger.
- Now reboot it a couple of times. Few users reported that it took them about 30 reboots for the device to boot properly.
- Once the device boots, charge it completely.
Many users reported that this issue occurs once the battery is completely drained on Dell devices, but you can try this solution on other models as well.
5. Try creating a USB recovery drive in Safe Mode
- Boot your PC to Safe Mode with networking. To see how to do that, check this Safe Mode guide.
- Go to This PC, right-click your flash drive and choose Format from the menu.
- Set the file system to FAT32 and click the start button.
- Once the drive is formatted, try to create a recovery drive again.
Few users reported that this method worked for them, so be sure to try it.
Chrome OS Recovery unexpected error can be problematic, but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
This post was written by Milan Stanojevic and was first posted to WindowsReport