- Many users have trouble connecting to ExpressVPN especially when using the Windows client.
- Checking the Internet connection or choosing another protocol are both recommended fixes.
- However, sometimes the situation can be more complicated and require a more advanced approach.
- Check out our guide and learn how to troubleshoot ExpressVPN’s connection issues like a pro.
ExpressVPN is one of the leaders in the expanding niche of VPN solutions. However, as the case has shown so many times, programs that are dependent on too many various factors, often bump into a problem.
One of the repeating issues that plagued numerous users is the inability to connect to a remote VPN server of your choice. The connection bar just stops in the middle of the process and it gets stuck.
In order to fix this, we offer a few possible solutions below. So, if ExpressVPN gets stuck with every new try, make sure to check them out.
How can I fix ExpressVPN stuck while connecting?
1. Check the Internet connection
- Run the Windows Troubleshooter. Right-click on the Wireless or LAN icon in the notification area and click on Troubleshoot problems.
- If you’re using the Wireless connection, try using the wired connection instead.
- Restart your PC and router/modem.
- Reset modem/router settings to default values.
- Update the router/modem firmware.
First things first. Probably the most obvious thing you’ll need to check in order to unstuck ExpressVPN is the connection.
Make sure that your PC is able to connect to the Internet without ExpressVPN. If you’re unable to do so, follow the above instructions in order to repair the connection.
On the other hand, if you’re able to connect to the Internet but the problem solely applies to ExpressVPN, make sure to continue with the steps below.
2. Use a reliable VPN alternative with no connection failures
Private Internet Access (PIA) is not only one of the oldest virtual private network providers on the market but also one of the best choices when it comes to connection stability.
PIA offers client applications for mainstream operating systems. It’s up to you to grab any of these apps since you’ll want to protect as many devices as you’re allowed on a single account.
Being able to connect from 10 different gadgets is quite a major advantage. After all, with most popular VPN clients, you can only connect using five or seven at most.
No less important, this Kape Technologies VPN solution is also remarkably inexpensive when compared to other VPN providers around. It’s only up to you to try it out.
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access is your top alternative when ExpressVPN is stuck on connecting. Enjoy the best deal right away!
3. Run application as admin
- Right-click on the ExpressVPN desktop shortcut and open Properties.
- Open Compatibility tab.
- Check the Run this program as an administrator box and confirm changes.
In order to avoid possible limitations imposed by Windows, you should run ExpressVPN desktop client with administrative permissions.
This should bypass the blockage and enable you to connect to dedicated servers you’ve chosen.
This seems to be the case with various third-party programs that are fairly limited or even blocked by Windows due to quite strict UAC (User Account Control) settings.
If you’re not sure how to run the ExpressVPN as admin in Windows 10, make sure to check the instructions above.
4. Change the protocol and server
- Open ExpressVPN.
- Click on the 3-line menu and open Options.
- Select the Protocol tab.
- Choose one of the 5 protocols and confirm changes.
- Try to connect again.
There are various protocols ExpressVPN utilizes in order to connect to a VPN server. These protocols are basically different methods and they differ in speed and security traits.
By default, ExpressVPN selects active protocol automatically, but that’s not always the most reliable way.
So, in order to fix the halt while connecting to a remote VPN server, make sure to switch between protocols manually. One of them might just work.
In addition, you’ll probably want to shift between the available servers until you reach the one that works. Due to heavy load, certain servers might be down or a lot slower than intended.
5. Disable antivirus and firewall temporarily
- Right-click on the antivirus icon in the notification bar and disable Real-time protection.
- In the Windows Search bar, type Firewall and open Windows Firewall.
- Click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Disable Windows Firewall for both Public and Private networks.
- Confirm changes and run ExpressVPN again.
If there’s one thing that keeps messing up various VPN and proxy solutions, that’s the third-party antivirus. Moreover, besides the antivirus, we can’t overlook the Windows Firewall.
Both security assets are strict towards the VPN solutions and can cause a halt within the program. So, you have two options here:
- To temporarily disable antivirus and firewall.
- To manually add exceptions for ExpressVPN.
Either way, that should eliminate stall and you should be able to continue with the seamless use. If you decide to disable antivirus and firewall temporarily, follow these steps:
On the other hand, you can create an exception within the antivirus and Windows Firewall, respectively. That way, security software won’t suppress ExpressVPN.
6. Contact the support team
Finally, if none of the aforementioned solutions worked for you, make sure to contact the support team that’s available 24/7 through the live chat.
That should do it. In case you have an alternative solution or questions regarding the ones we already posted, make sure to tell us in the comments section below.
Moreover, take a closer look at some of the most common VPN errors and their solutions for quick tips like the ones above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Join the conversation
This post was written by Aleksandar Ognjanovic and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.