Usually, when the webcam isn’t working, you should update/reinstall its drivers, update the Windows 10 system (if a system update is waiting for your approval some built-in features cannot run correctly).
Or you can remove a certain Windows update if the camera stopped running after a new Windows 10 patch was applied.
Thus, in most situations, these general solutions should fix the software problems that are related to the webcam, or with an external camera app.
However, if the camera is still inaccessible, the answer to your problem might be within the security solution that’s used on your Windows 10 system.
Yes, that’s right, the antivirus software might block the webcam. The first thing to do is to temporarily disable the antivirus software. Then, try to use the camera.
If everything works without problems it means that the antivirus was blocking the camera app, so you will have to add a new exclusion within the antivirus program (for the webcam app itself or for the apps that are trying to access your webcam).
Here is how you can complete these processes for the most popular antivirus programs available for the Windows 10 system.
How can I fix the antivirus blocking camera issues?
- Open the AV interface and navigate to the Settings tab.
- Access the Real-time Antivirus option and then, the File section (define here the files that you want to be skipped from the scanning process).
- Alternatively, on the Settings screen, enter the paths corresponding to the files/apps you wish to skip from the scanning process.
- Click on Add and that’s it.
You can customize BullGuard antivirus by defining the rules and obviously the exceptions for its scanning process. This applies to your webcam or respectively, to the apps that access your camera.
- Open the main Bitdefender user interface.
- Click on the Privacy icon – located on the left side of the main window.
- Then, select View Features.
- There you should be able to access the Webcam Protection on/off switch.
- Further customizations towards the webcam can be initiated by clicking on the Settings menu located in the lower-right corner of main Webcam Protection panel.
- Don’t forget that you can also add certain exceptions in Bitdefender: from the Bitdefender main window click on the Protection tab, navigate towards View modules and click on the Settings icon; then follow on screen-prompts and add a new exclusion for your camera app.
- If you’re trying to use an external camera connected through your network follow: from View Modules link click on Firewall and then select Adapters; finally click on Network exceptions and add the IP address of the camera you want to add in the exceptions list.
Bitdefender is pre-installed with a built-in feature designed to secure your camera app. And this feature can be configured so that you can decide which apps can use it and which cannot.
This post was written by Andrew Wafer and was first posted to WindowsReport
Do you find this article helpful? Your Friend might too. So, please Share it with them using the Share button above.
Will you like to get notified when I post new updates? Then Follow me on any of my social media handles: Google News, Telegram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.
You can also drop your email address below if you wish to be notified by mail.